Sunday, August 3, 2014

Chocolate Pudding Cake

It's been a while since I posted something. I have a good reason...I was on vacation in the beautiful Montana. If you haven't been to northwest Montana you're missing out. I go every summer for a family reunion at the lake.








I needed to continue to train for my marathon while in Montana. The first couple of days, it was super smokey outside. This asthma girl can't run in the smoke. I did yoga inside instead. I made welcomed my family to join. I think they had tons of fun, even my little niece tried some poses.


The beginning.

The end.


After the reunion, I chilled at my grandma's house for a few days. I also did some much needed clothes shopping. Montana has no sales tax which makes shopping even better!

Did I mention that I went Huckleberry picking...twice. Huckleberries are the most delicious berry out there. I am so making a Huckleberry pie soon and other goodies. Don't worry, I'll share, well the recipes at least. :)





 Picking Huckleberries.




It takes a while to clean pick them, but it is so worth it.



My niece is helping pick berries. Her "real" job was to watch for bears. She did a great job and even crawled like a bear to keep them away. Thanks to her hard work, we didn't come across any.


 Look at all these berries!

Now to the   Chocolate Pudding Cake


My mom has been making this since before I can even remember. I believe that my grandma made it for her as a kid. Now I'm sharing this secret family recipe with you. 

Batter:
1 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
2 t. baking powder
3 T. baking cocoa
3/4 c. milk

Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
3 T. baking cocoa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix batter ingredients together and pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish. 

In a separate bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the batter. 

Pour 2 cups HOT water over the entire thing. 

Now for the secret. (Recite an appropriate chant, if any are known, otherwise say Better Crocker backwards three times.)

Bake for 30 minutes.
Serves 12

This recipe works great cut in half or doubled. 

Try it out and tell me what you think!


2 comments:

  1. Huh, interesting to see this--your Uncle Gary passed a recipe for the same dessert on to me (it was his favorite dessert as a boy), but the ingredient measurements, baking dish, and cooking time are somewhat different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan,
    That's not surprising. If my mom cooks anything like grandma, there will be many variations because they cook it by memory and never write down the same recipe twice.

    ReplyDelete