Sunday, September 28, 2014

26.2 or Bust

After 9 months of training, I finally did it. I ran my first marathon. I had no idea of what to expect. The internet had lots of "what to expect" and gave me a little insight. This race went nothing like I imagined it would.

The last month, I went back and forth on whether or not I would actually be able to run. I was told I had mono the beginning of September. At the same time, I came down with a bad cold virus. My bed became my best friend. I slept as much as I could and eventually began to feel better. Then last Saturday I had to go into insta care.  I had come down with a sinus infection and the start of an ear infection.  

With all of this, I decided I still wanted to run and I felt well enough to run.

Here is the run down of my BIG race day:
Got up at 3:30 am
Sat on the bus to avoid the rain till race time
Ran a lot 
RAIN
COLD
Bitten by millions of MOSQUITOES
More running, rain, and mosquitoes
Felt like death, but kept running
Teamed up with other runner to run/walk last 4 miles...in the rain
Finished in 5:48 

Honestly, it was the worst running experience of my life. 

Am I glad I stuck it out? Yes.

Did I meet my goal? Yes. It was just to finish.


Will I run another marathon? Yes, just never again in the rain and cold. 





1 comment:

  1. You are amazing. I'm sure I would have backed out before the race. But, if not? The mosquitos would have killed me dead. You are awesome. Love, Sandi Z.

    ReplyDelete